The law and planning status of Bia造stok post-industrial areas

Arch. Stanis豉w Piechota-ζpie雟ki, City Hall Bia造stok, Planing Department du@um.bialystok.pl

In the year 1944, after the military operations of World War II and years of occupation, only few operational industrial facilities remained in Bialystok. They were dispersed across the whole area of the city, with the largest concentration of them located within the city centre. More important facilities that should be mentioned included: Power Distribution Company (Zak豉d Energetyczny) in Elektryczna street, Glass-Works (Huta Szk豉) in Ryska Street, Instruments and Handles Factory (Fabryka Przyrz鉅闚 i Uchwyt闚 - currently BISON-BIAL) in ㄨkowa street, Plywood Factory (Fabryka Sklejek) in Dojlidy or Rettery (Roszarnia - currently BIAWAR) in Wysoki Stoczek.
The first post-war city reconstruction plan was developed in the years 1945-1946.
The plan defined, inter alia, industrial areas. The perspective plan for the development of the city for a population of 150 thousand people was prepared in the year 1948. In 1952 the work on the perspective plan was continued under the assumption that the size of the city population would reach 100 thousand. . The final perspective plan of the city, that became the ground work for subsequent planning documents, was approved in 1959.
It was assumed in all the documents referred to above that the existing industrial facilities would be deglomerated and moved from the centre to newly established, designated industrial areas located on the outskirts of the city.

Spatial development study plan of Bia造stok 2005

Such areas were designated in the districts of Fasty, Ba瘸ntarnia, Wysoki Stoczek - Elewatorska street, Dojlidy and along the north bypass (currently Gen. Andersa street). The sites of the deglomerated and demolished industrial facilities were to be re-developed as housing estates, commercial facilities or parks.


Post-industrial buildings - investment offer

This tendency was sustained in subsequently developed general zoning plans for the city of Bia造stok. However, in the new political, cultural and social conditions the adopted principles inevitably had to be verified. This clearly applied to non-operational facilities and buildings with undisputed cultural values.

Preparation of the programme of revitalization of the Bialystok city centre was initiated recently, with consideration for the future of post-industrial buildings, whereas two commercial complexes are already being developed in the sites of former industrial facilities, where urban planning and architectural solutions make use of the preserved, valuable historic tissue of deserted and idle buildings.

Bia造stok, January 2007.